Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

gems

Well, I'm amazed. Lene knew the answer to the riddle. How did you know it Lene?????
Well girl, email me and I'll be sending you a little prizey for your efforts!!!
So the answer was:
A person is sitting on a stool eating a chicken leg, a dog seizes the chicken leg, so the person throws the stool at the dog and it brings back the chicken leg.

Yeah, it seems kind of obvious now doesn't it?

On to another little gem I discovered while reading this week. I really love this one. I found it in the pages of a book called "Out to Canaan" by Jan Karon. It's part of her Mitford series. They're wonderful books. Just delightful to read in my opinion.
So, here's the little tidbit:
" 'There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every person,' Pascal wrote. 'And it can never be filled by any created thing. It can only be filled by God, made known through Jesus Christ.'
Pascal had dazzled Europe with his sophisticated mathematical equations when he was only sixteen, and written about the God-shaped vacuum when he wasn't much older.
Nearly every day of his priesthood, Father Tim had seen what happened when people tried filling that vacuum with any created thing. Pauline had tried to fill it wih alcohol. Rhody Davis had tried to fill it with someone else's child...
He closed his eyes and prayed for all those who turn to the created thing, expecting much and receiving nothing."

So, my question to myself is this....what am I trying to fill that vacuum with? There's only one thing out there that will fill it. Nothing else even begins to occupy the space. Am I looking to Him to fill that void?

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I am so confused!

CB said...

That answer was still confusing! Ha Ha That kids book is too hard for me :D

Good thoughts on the vacumn - Something to think about...

Lene said...

What can I say...5 kids and lots of riddles. Ü

I love the thought of the vacuum. It makes you think and realize that every minute and every day we have to be striving to be better than we think we are.

gigi said...

Thanks for this, so sweet.