Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Going through The Motions

I love this song. It's called "The Motions" by Matthew West.
The chorus especially moves me.
Most days, it's how I feel, like I'm just going through the motions, and not doing a very good job even at that.
I could do so much better at personal prayer, scripture study, magnifying my church calling, being a good mom and wife, sister, daughter and on and on.
~~~~~
~~~~~
~~~~~~~
This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"
No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life
'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"
I know that I rarely give anything my everything these days. I could make excuses and say I just don't have the time to do everything 100%. But the truth is I'm lazy.
Hearing it always makes me want to turn over a new leaf, and start really paying attention to the important things in my life.
Why is it that I so quickly forget ?
I think maybe I'm going to pick one area of my life each month where I am going to focus on giving it my all.
So, I need to decide what my priority is going to be for the next thirty days.
Should I make it a spiritual focus, or a family focus? Both are so very important.
Perhaps a little prayer is in order.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

You are not the only one my friend. I go through the motions day in and day out. It is the repetitive motions of of the same thing happening everyday that does that to us. I am clawing my way out of the same rut...I've got a hand out if you need it. maybe if we all worked together we could climb out of this gaping hole!!!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I was just questioning myself this weekend,about my memory. Is it really that terrible, or am I just SO disengaged that I don't really take in the information to start with?
I need to focus somewhere too, but it seems that life just gets busier and busier.

Good luck with picking your priority!!

Lauren Kelly said...

Absolutely love this song. Praying for you :o)

The Foulgers said...

I think we all go through this at different times in our lifes. You'll get through it. Just keep the Lord close.

Amy said...

You are not alone in this! I know each day if I don't acknowledge my priorities, something will get in the way.

:Jan the crazy lady: said...

Don't be to hard on yourself. I think everyone has the same thoughts Mikki.

Jenny said...

Your not alone in this journey. I have thought the same thing. Your wonderful!

I have not heard the song. Guess I better check it out.